Brownells has released their latest offering with the new BRN-9 AR pistol upper receiver.
Brownells states “At last we have a BRN® upper for pistol-caliber AR fans! The BRN-9 is a complete, dedicated upper receiver assembly chambered in 9mm Luger (9x19mm, 9mm Parabellum).
In common with our BRN-180® series, the BRN-9’s blowback operating system is entirely self-contained.
It does not use the AR-15 recoil buffer system, so it does not need a receiver extension, aka “buffer tube.”
It readily functions with a folding stock as an SBR (all NFA rules apply), and as a pistol it doesn’t need the stubby buffer tube common to AR pistols.
How does it work? The BRN-9’s bolt is connected to a weight above it that reciprocates inside the receiver and works with the internal recoil springs to provide enough mass to enable simple, reliable blowback operation.
This operating system can run suppressed or unsuppressed without changing the springs.
The BRN-9 upper snaps onto a standard mil-spec AR-15 or BRN-180 lower receiver fitted with one of many 9mm magwell adapters currently available.
It’s also a perfect match for a purpose-built 9mm lower, such as the Aero Precision EPC-9.
It works with lowers set up to use 9mm Glock®, Colt SMG, CZ Scorpion, Heckler & Koch MP5, and SIG Sauer P320 magazines, as well as Mean Arms EndoMags.
Plus, it works with lower receivers and magwell adapters that have a last-round-bolt-open mechanism.
Conveniently positioned up front, the BRN-9’s charging handle can be swapped easily between the right- and left-hand sides of the receiver.
It’s a non-reciprocating charging handle, so no there’s risk of it striking your support hand while firing – important on such a compact upper!
The short handguard and receiver itself are machined from a solid billet of 6061 T6 aluminum, so the BRN-9 upper has a sturdy, “all of a piece” feel to it.
Up top there’s an uninterrupted full-length M1913 Picatinny rail, so you can mount a red dot sight exactly where you need it.
The Nitride-coated 5½” barrel of extra-strong 4150 steel is ideal for 9mm ballistics, and the muzzle has ½”-28 tpi threads to accept a muzzle device or sound suppressor.
A handy thread protector is included, to give a finished look when you’re going deviceless.
- Machined from- billet 6061 T6 aluminum, black hardcoat anodized
- Nitrided 4140 steel bolt
- Lightweight Nitrided 4150 steel barrel with 1-10″ rifling & ½-28 tpi muzzle threads
- Continuous M1913 Picatinny top rail
- M-LOK® slots on bottom & sides of handguard
- Compatible with 9mm Glock®, Colt 32-rd SMG, CZ Scorpion, Heckler & Koch MP5, Mean Arms EndoMags & SIG Sauer P320 magazines
- Self-contained blowback operating system – NO buffer tube needed!
- Non-reciprocating steel charging handle
- Compatible with standard “mil-spec” AR-15 or BRN-180 lower receivers
- Works with last-round-bolt-hold-open lower receivers
- Preserves function of bolt catch
- Tapered multi material 4-piece trunnion system to maintain mechanical accuracy & longevity
- Rear recoil buffer is 3D-printed from flexible material optimized to absorb recoil impulse
- Over-buffer-tower design maximizes rail space
- BRN-style brass deflector
- Easy toolless takedown
To learn more about Brownells. CLICK HERE